Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Flygirl by Sherri L. Smith - review



African-American girl-powered WWII historical fiction? Hell, this book would get the thumbs-up from me on the strength of its demographic and seasonal usefulness alone! I'm going to be passing this baby out right and left when historical fiction season is upon us. But I'm going to feel good about doing so on the strength of the unusual story and interesting characters.

Taught to fly by her late father, a farmer with a sideline in crop dusting, all Ida Mae wants is a life among the clouds. But after she graduates from high school, she's stuck cleaning houses and living at home with her mom, little brother, and grandfather, because not only is Ida Mae a girl, and a farm girl at that, she's a black farm girl in the American South in the 1940's.

When the United States enters World War II, and later creates the Women’s Airforce Service Pilots, Ida Mae grabs at her chance to fly and to serve her country. However, her race is still a barrier, and she enters the WASP "passing" for white.

So many terrific topics are brought up here - gender and racial discrimination, of course, but also the friction of maintaining a falsehood in order to attain one's true potential.

Flygirl is maybe not the most fluidly-written book - many characters appear to express emotion either by blushing or grinning - but it's one I can recommend with my head held high, and one I'll enjoy discussing with some of my more thoughtful young friends.

3 comments:

Kyra said...

Thanks for the review of this book - I think will purchase it. My dad and mom were both pilots!

Do you have suggestions for a mock Coretta Scott King award list?

Best, Kyra
www.BlackThreadsinKidsLit.blogspot.com

Mary Ann Scheuer said...

This sound like an interesting book. I'm wondering how compelling it is for kids to read - I'm thinking of a reluctant reader in 4th or 5th grade. Would the action or dilemmas pull a kid through it? Thanks for a great find!

Lenore Appelhans said...

I wholeheartedly agree with your review. Just read it and reviewed it over on my blog.