Friday, February 13, 2009

LOVE is a good thing to feel, written by Barbara Joosse, illustrated by Jennifer Plecas - review



Love is a good thing to feel, written by Barbara Joosse, illustrated by Jennifer Plecas
My mom knows Barbara Joosse somehow, I should say that. Hasn't influenced me unduly so far: in fact, I've never reviewed any of her books before, and she's written plenty. Seems like a nice lady though.

And she sure does know about LOVE. THIS adorable thing I'm holding in my hands is all about Harriet, who is frizzy-haired and wears striped tights and stomps in puddles and tap dances. Harriet tells us about the ways to say I love you, and what love does for you (it can "make bad better") and how anger and jealousy and sorrow can exist at the same time as love. We need to explain this to kids every chance we get. Harriet also tells us that sponges don't have hearts but worms have five.

And then she sings a song. Now I will sing a song:

Ohhh... you beautiful readers of Pink Me
You are smart and funny and I love your sweaters!
The way you put up with my silly crap
It's like a bubble bath on the Internet!
Happy Valentine's Day, you sweetly-scented shiny and bouncy PEEOPLE!
(And thanks especially to mamele, who called me "mouthy")
Chocolate covered whatevers and ice-cold cocktails for everyone!!

No comments: