Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's dizzying

Pink Me readers (all both of you!) may be suffering from a recent drought of Pink Me reviews. Me, too. Believe me, I thought that with both kids in school this year I'd be reviewing nonstop. And I have, well kinda.

I review for School Library Journal in addition to reviewing for Pink Me, and SLJ has recently blessed me with THREE largish nonfiction series. Serieses? Well, three sets of nonfiction books. So, yeah, that's taken up a lot of time.

I've also started to receive ARC's from publishers, and man, there's nothing so tempting as a brand-new book that isn't out yet. Unfortunately, I rip right through them, review them, and then realize they won't be available until like April! So those reviews are waiting in the wings.

In addition, I've been on something of a YA reading jag lately. I read two YA novels involving incest in like a week. Eeeurgh. Haven't really gotten to the point that I can write reviews of those yet.

Also, this is the time of year that our school library figures out its budget, and I get to pick the new books we're going to buy this year. It's so much fun, but it's heartbreaking too, because given the money we have, I have to cross a lot of fine books off the list. So I've taken the time to revisit some of the books that have been on my list during the past year, and I've been researching some of the topics that the teachers will be focusing on. Anyone know a good middle school book on the birth of democracy? Yeah, me neither!



And just today, I got word that I'll be a Cybils panelist! I'm very excited about this - I'll be on the graphic novels panel. I've been a comics reader for about twenty years now, and I feel like I can look at a graphic novel and really understand some of the artist's and writer's choices.

So look for those YA novels to be reviewed soon, and hopefully LOTS of graphic novels, and a terrific picture book called Amadi's Snowman, and I finally read The London Eye Mystery. That one should be in every school library.

Thank you for your patience and your kind support.

No comments: