Friday, August 8, 2008

The Retired Kid by Jon Agee - review



The Retired Kid by Jon Agee
I love my job. I do! I'm a librarian and I get to see lots and lots of shiny new books. And I'm part-time, so I don't even have to go to meetings and stuff. But sometimes it is hard work. Sometimes I'm on the telephone and I have to find out where a lady can buy George Foreman brand underpants (Sears). Sometimes there's a kid who only wants to read true stories about female lacrosse players (sorry, kid - how about soccer?). Sometimes people make strange comments about my hair (No, God didn't give me this color, but thanks for asking).

Jon Agee's Brian sometimes feels the same way. School, soccer practice, broccoli... being a kid can be hard work, and one day he decides he's had enough. "It's been a wonderful eight years," he informs his family, "but I need a break."

He moves to a retirement community in Florida, and lives the life, improving his golf game and taking afternoon naps. But before too long he realizes that, what with the prune juice smoothies and the history-channel documentaries, maybe life in retirement isn't for him. So he un-retires, returns home, and, like Brett Favre, is signed to the Jets for 12.8 million dollars welcomed with open arms.

Brian feels he still has something to contribute to the profession. Me, too!

No comments: