Thursday, May 8, 2008

The cow that laid an egg by Andy Cutbill, illustrated by Russell Ayto - review



The cow that laid an egg by Andy Cutbill, illustrated by Russell Ayto
By the same token, cows are mostly silly in children's books. Often they'd like to differentiate themselves from the herd. Cutbill's cow, Marjorie, is no exception. She feels like she isn't special. "I can't ride bicycles and do handstands like the other cows. I just feel so ordinary."

And poof! just like that, The cow that laid an egg proves itself to be anything but ordinary. There follows a tale of goodhearted chickens, shrieking farm folk, fame, jealousy, accusation, suspense... and a happy ending.

Today I handed it to a kid who had proudly shown me his first library card. He's just beginning to read on his own, so I gave him this book and There Is a Bird On Your Head!.

No comments: