Saturday, March 8, 2008

Under your skin: Your amazing body by Mick Manning and Brita Granström - review



Under your skin: Your amazing body by Mick Manning and Brita Granström
I love Mick & Brita. I've loved them for a while and never even knew it until I read this book and noticed that it was dedicated "To Max, Björn and Frej with love, Mum and Dad." I am a sucker for couples writing books together. On their website, mickandbrita.com, how cute is that, I saw that they've done plenty of books I've liked, like Wash, Scrub, Brush, Dino-dinners, and When the Sun Goes Down (Wonderwise Readers).

The cartoony pencil-and-watercolor illustrations and happy colors in these books are not particularly unusual, and that may be why I've never put them all together in my head, but the perspectives tend to be fresh and the presentation interesting. Under your skin uses flaps to contrast the external and internal view of various anatomical systems and features. There are a lot of exclamation points, and a lot of conversational interjections. Also, it's pretty thorough, although it does skip the reproductive/urinary system. You pretty much have to buy Italian kids' books if you want that, though.

No comments: