Sunday, July 26, 2009

Thunder-Boomer! by Shutta Crum, illustrated by Carol Thompson - review



Thunder-Boomer! by Shutta Crum, illustrated by Carol Thompson
A summer afternoon story, magnificently paced as a storm builds and then crashes over a farm family, onomatopoeia out the wazoo, and Dad's underwear flying around the farmyard.


Scooter's scared! He hides his head beneath
the couch,

but the rest of him won't fit.

Lovely rhythm, homespun imagery, powerful watercolor paintings. Ahhh. A perfect peach of a summer book.

2 comments:

Shutta Crum said...

HAH!
Loved the short synopsis for my book! So why aren't you working for OCLC doing the synopses for the CIP data? They would be ever so much more interesting to read!

Shutta

Unknown said...

Shutta, glad you liked it. I've admired all your books but I think this is the first I've reviewed.

Sometimes less just feels cleaner than more. I got started reviewing by doing ultra-short reviews - I would liveblog an entire stack of new picture books. But then I got wordier.

And oh, don't get me started on the jobs that people don't seem to realize they should hire me for!

:paula