Friday, August 29, 2008

Mrs. Muddle's Holidays by Laura F. Nielsen, pictures by Thomas F. Yezerski



Mrs. Muddle's Holidays by Laura F. Nielsen, pictures by Thomas F. Yezerski
I read this a while ago, liked it quite a bit, kept it out for a good while thinking I'd get to reviewing it soon, but never felt like I had a nice chunk of time and attention that I could devote to it.

I still don't.

But whatever. I just have to sack up and review the book: Mrs. Muddle's Holidays is great. I have to remember to buy it for the school library. It's all about inclusiveness, and community, and being outside.


Mrs. Muddle brings life and color and fellowship to the street by celebrating such things as the Birthday of the Inventor of the Roller Skate and Let's Pretend It's Summer Day. The multicultural neighbors (Hassan, Jen-Mei and Rosa, along with Alicia, Katie, Jim and Tony live in Mrs. Muddle's street) are drawn in semi-realistic, friendly watercolors and pen and ink. Especially engaging are the big spreads with lots of detail. You really want to live on Mrs. Muddle's street, and I'm tempted to try to think up a few seasonal traditions of my own.

There, I didn't have any time, and this review kind of sucks, but I think I said what I wanted to. The book is good.

No comments: